3.20.2007

leaving the 99

I think we don't really understand God a lot of times. In luke 15 there are three stories of someone losing something, and then rejoicing when it is found.

We think that God must be so mad at us when we sin, that we run away from him. We fear his punishment.

Yet God does not desire to punish us, but to rescue us. I love the story of the shepherd leaving the 99 sheep to go after the one who is lost.

I am so thankful that God also comes after me when I lose my way.

What would it look like to be like God in this way? What would it be like to be a person who leaves the 99 who are ok in order to go after the 1 that has lost its way?

I think a lot of times we sorta have the attitude that if someone leaves our church or group that they should either be judged or forgotten. What would it mean to really go after them?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And when you are part of a really big flock, does anybody even notice if a quiet lamb on the outer edge walks away?


M

Brandon J. Brown said...

Sadly... usually probably not... It takes a lot of effort and time... two things most of us struggle with...

Anonymous said...

Ah - my favorite story in the Bible...the parable of the lost sheep. God's unconditional, persistent love for us. I am also in loving "pursuit" of a friend who lost his way and others have given up on him...hopefully God's grace will use me to bring him back...