3.28.2007

Authority... from where? (Luke 20:2)

One day the religious leaders questioned Jesus. "Tell us by what authority you are doing these things," they said. "Who gave you this authority?

We ask the same question today all the time...

If a parent, or teacher, or adult tell a student to do something, the student will often wonder why they should listen. Why does the adult have authority...

Oftern Adults will wonder why their boss was given authority...

But in this way Jesus was different than any other leader in history... He had real authority. No one gave him his authority it was his from the very beginning. As God, it was his right to rule the universe and to do whatever he felt was best.

Jesus had authority because he created all of this... and the creation serves the one who created it.

What is interesting is that in the story here, the religious leaders were questioning the authority of the only person they had ever met who truly deserved to have it.

I think we do the same thing today... When we learn about a truth about God that we do not like... one that keeps us from doing something we want to do... we often ignore it thinking... I don't have to do that if I don't want to...

In other words... God doesnt have the right to tell me how to live... but the thing is that he has more right to tell me how to live than I do... he created me.

No comments: