3.15.2008

A new Name...

A lot of people don't realize that when they become a Christian they are given a new name.

Now in life we all have lots of names... my formal name is Brandon... but I also have had people use these other names to describe me in my life:
white, male, smart, stupid, shaggy dog, baldy, BJ, chunky, clever, jerk , *$(#&#, american, rich, student, cool, dork, nerd, strong, jock, loser, artistic, creative, messy, annoying, the squirrel, trouble maker, pastor, evangelist, sinner, hypocrit.

All of these titles have been used about me... I am sure there are more as well...

But here is the deal... when I became a Christian... all of those titles, even Brandon, became less important that my new title, "IN CHRIST." Jesus is the new title that means so much more than the rest...

"IN CHRIST" my sins are paid for, and I am restored to a right relationship with God

"IN CHRIST" I can live a new life

"IN CHRIST" I have access to God

"IN CHRIST" I have a restored meaning an purpose

"IN CHRIST" I am fully accepted and fully loved..

and

"IN CHRIST" I am not longer characterized by the good or bad labels about me...

Colossians says it this way,
3:11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all."


I love that verse because it means that we are no longer a bunch of different groups, but one new group... the "IN CHRIST" group.... which welcomes everyone!

In Galatians, Paul goes even further:
Gal 3:26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.


So here is the point... you have been given a new name.... it is more important than any other label you wear... even the name your parents gave you...

Why? Because this new name "in Christ" is the name that means you are God's special beloved child!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

really good message... i like the connection with the t-shirts! i think you should actually make the t's... my friends all said they wanted one!! :]

Anonymous said...

really good message... i like the connection with the t-shirts! i think you should actually make the t's... my friends and i all wanted one! :]

Brandon J. Brown said...

Hey Sara... That is a great idea... and I can tell you that we have future plans for the shirts beyond just graphics...

but I can't talk about it yet...

lets just say it is going to be awesome...

and I highly recommend that someone who is really interested in these shirts pay extra special attention to our Invasion Summer camp!

Anonymous said...

I love those T-shirts! You really should make those shirts. All my friends, including me, said we wanted one!

Rebekah H

Anonymous said...

cool! whatever you have in mind brandon, i cant wait!!!!!!!! the shirts would be cool to actually have.