3.13.2008

NAME brand clothes... (Jesus and the little Gods #4)

God's name and his reputation go hand in hand.

When you hear a persons name, it immediately brings to mind that persons reputation if you know them. For example if I say Mother Teresa and Britney Spears, both names would bring to mind a strong impression based on the life that each lived.

In the same way God's name is deeply tied with his reputation.

The ancient Israelites thought his Name and reputation were so amazing, that instead of actually saying his name, they would say the word "Name"

NAME sounds like SHEM in Hebrew.

If an ancient Israelite was reading the bible, they would replace the different names for God with the word shem while they read along...

IT was so important to them that God's name be treated with the respect it deserved.

Today things are different.

We are no longer afraid to say God's name, and we often do not think about how we are saying it, or what it means.

It is important that we realize that this is not good.

Paul taught in Colossians 3 that:
17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

As Christians we no longer live to create a name for ourselves, but to spread the reputation and name of God. We are his name bearers to the world. Almost like we are wearing a Jesus shirt... or NAME brand clothes

Here is the problem: Whatever people see us do while we are Christians, they assume that must be how God is too.

Our actions get attributed to him...

so when I sin, or lie, or steal, or am just mean... people think that God must be like that too. So be careful how you wear the name!

Has your life helped people to better understand who Jesus is?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't really thought that by my actions somebody will see what Jesus is really like. Oh sure, I've worn a Got Jesus? shirt in public, but I haven't been thinking, people will see my shirt, and will think I'm a Christian and see how I act. I've heard this message plenty of times, but I think it's finally time to apply it to my life!



Rebekah H