1.05.2008

A weeks worth of food.

So I was surfing the web, and noticed an interesting post on one of my friends Blogs... it had pictures of what a weeks worth of food looked like around the world. Take a look for yourself.


The first picture is from the US... ($341.98)












This second form Mexico... ($189.09)












and the third is from Chad. ($1.23)









My Friend Michael had some good questions about these images:
1. What might we learn about others by what they eat?
Food is a window into getting to know others – their customs, values and traditions. I would like to begin inviting others from my community who are racially and ethnically different than my family to involve us in some of their meal customs, so we can learn about their lives and build friendship.

2. What would my family’s week worth of food look like?
Would it reflect good stewardship or overabundance?
Would it show a commitment to health, wholeness and local economy?
How could we share what we have with people in our community?


3. What can we learn from those who have less?
How can we help families locally and globally who struggle to provide food for their family?
What groups can I contribute to that help those in need?


THINK ABOUT THIS…
When you look at these photos, what do you notice?
Which of those families food would you most enjoy? Which would you not enjoy?
What thoughts and questions come to your mind?




What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon!!!!!

It's Lauren! I just wanted to tell you that I started my New Year's Resolution. I have read one chapter in the Bible every day since January 1st and it's going well. I just had 1 question. Why did people live so long back then? It said that Adam was like 930 years old!!!! Why do we only live to about 80 or 90?

Just wondering!!!!!

-lauren :)

Sam Dodge said...

This is a really interesting discussion point, thanks for pushing it further around the blogosphere.

Not only could we learn about customs, but also the importance people place on food and the amount of time they're willing to devote to a meal. I think there is a lot of insight into how a person thinks and works when you look at where their meals come from. I know for a while most of my meals came from fast food places and there was almost a direct connection to how I was living my life. When I take the time to enjoy a meal and/or make something at home, there's calmness that comes along with that.

When I think about how meals are described in the Bible, I feel they were really held as an event, not just a quick stop on the way to something else. It was a time to stop all other things, to sit with friends and family, to relax and evaluate. Even in European countries these days, at least some people are still able to take longer lunches, they go home, eat with family, really taking a break from the pressures and stress of life.

The other thing I notice is that food and it's lack of abundance is still such a huge issue in many places in Africa. We in the US fail to realize how we could help immensely by breaking down our boundaries and giving of ourselves. I'm still amazed at how something as little as a dollar a day or so could make such a drastic difference in those places. And when I allow myself to really contemplate this, it's tough to not feel guilty. I sit here next to a $2 bottle of juice that I didn't really need. If I wasn't so quick to satisfy my every need, how much money could I save each week? How much could I give to those less fortunate, both locally and globally?

james said...

Yyyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyyyy A new blog paaage!



James

Anonymous said...

Wow, this really makes you think about how much we have compared to others.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon!
It's crazy that they people from Chad spend $1.23 for a weeks amount of food! You can barely buy 2 candy bars here for that little. Out of the 3 i liked the one from mexico the best. Just decided to tell u that
!:D
i responded to this so yourwelcome!
I went on the mosaic website!!!!
:D