12.08.2007

five3challenge: John 18

"Jesus was sold out for some silver"

Judas, one of the disciples who betrayed Jesus for a little money, led the soldiers to arrest Jesus. He knew exactly where Jesus was, because normally he would have been with him...

Judas had witnessed all the same miracles, healings, teachings, and awesome acts of compassion as the rest of the disciples, but his heart had not warmed toward Jesus... all he saw was the money...

Before we are too hard on him, I think we need to ask ourselves a hard questions. Judas betrayed Jesus for silver... what is my price?

What are the things that I am so swayed by, that I would "sell out" and deny Jesus, betray Jesus or Abandon Jesus for.

~For some it is popularity and acceptance... they will do anything to fit in, including abandoning the person they know Jesus wants them to be, or even pretending like they are not followers of him so people will not make fun of them.

~For others it is success and money... they will do anything to get ahead in school or life... even ignoring God to get better grades or work longer hours...

~For others it is pleasure... they will do anything for the next rush... be it sexual, drug related, alcohol and partying... it doesnt matter as long as it brings a moment of fun...

~For some it is relationships... they will do anything to have a boyfriend or girlfriend... even if it means being with someone who pushes their morals or doesn't care about God...

~Still others have other reasons...


How about you... where are you the most tempted to sell out and walk away from loving Jesus, even though you have already learned so much about him?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon,

It's Lauren!

At my school, the 8th graders are having a food drive for the Waukesha Food Pantry. So, i asked my mom if i could come grocery shopping with her today and get some things for the food pantry.

So we were there, and i started to look for things they could use. While i was doing that I was thinking about how we don't realize that there are people even in WAUKESHA who can't afford these things. A lot of the time i think... "oh yeah, that's the kind of stuff that happends in MILWAUKEE." But really it happens right in our own neighborhoods. So, i kept looking and was ready to check out. I only spent about $10 and i got a lot of things that they can really use. It felt SO good to give and help people. I babysit, so i earn money. So i thought, why can't i spend some of the money i get from babysitting on food that people really need instead of spending it on clothes for myself, which of course i have enough of. It made me feel really good to know that i am helping people who live really close to me!

Later today, i was talking to my mom and brother about what heaven would be like and i thought of what you have been telling us every week. You can read the whole Bible in a year if you read 3 chapters a day; or you can read it in 3 years if you read 1 chapter a day.

So i told my mom and brother that for my New Year's Resolution, i am going to read 1 chapter every day so that i can hopfully have the whole Bible read my the time i am 16. (I'm really busy, so i decided to only do the 1 chapter for 3 years.)

TODAY WAS A GREAT DAY AND I REALLY WANTED TO TELL YOU ABOUT IT!!

See you on Tuesay at Nexus!!!

Lauren :)

Brandon J. Brown said...

Lauren,

That was such an awesome comment. Thanks for really thinking about others, and the things of God. It is a huge blessing to see students like you really wrestle with what it means to follow Christ.

Keep me up to date on your Bible reading... I am eager to know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

I really thought there was something out there that i should do to help others, and that was the perfect opportunity!

I will keep you posted on my Bible readings once i get started in January!

Lauren :)