11.22.2007

five3challenge: John 8:31 - 59


"Jesus just is..."

This is one of my favorite sections in John.

Let me point out just a few of really cool things he says:

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

This passage is pretty straight forward. It is those who really try to do what Jesus tells us to that are his students, or disciples. When we follow his teaching, we live the best kind of life and experience a freedom that many never do. What kind of freedom?

Truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.


Often people think that Jesus is trying to keep them from all the fun things in life... but the truth is that all those "fun" sinful things that go against his word are traps. They promise fun, and sometimes they even deliver, but as soon as you start, the also come with chains. The chains are the consequences which may not come immediately but will come eventually. And many of these behaviors also can be addictive... enslaving us to our desires!

truly I tell you, before Abraham was born, I am!"


THis statement is given when Jesus is trying explain to some skeptics who he is... He has always existed... he just is...

No comments: