12.01.2008

Numbers 24: Balaam's curse??? err...Blessing

So in Numbers 24 theres a couple really cool things that happen...

To start Balaam sees that God is pleased to bless Israel. Imagine seeing what Balaam saw here, he saw Israel camping tribe by tribe. I would imagine it might look something like this,
just a whole lot cooler because the tents would be arrayed facing the place where God's presence hung out with his people!

Then Balaam speaks words that God gives him, and he blesses Israel. No big deal right? Except for Balak isn't too happy because that is EXACTLY what he didn't want to have given to Israel...he wanted to have them cursed! Balak gets pretty mad at Balaam saying, "I called you to curse my enemies, and behold, you have blessed them these three times." Not exactly what Balak was hoping would happen!

Balaam's response is awesome...it also made me think. This is what Balaam says:

Numbers 24:12-13 "12 Balaam answered Balak, "Did I not tell the messengers you sent me, 13 'Even if Balak gave me his palace filled with silver and gold, I could not do anything of my own accord, good or bad, to go beyond the command of the LORD -and I must say only what the LORD says'?"

When I read this I wondered...what would I have done? Would I have given up a palace filled with silver and gold? Would I have settled for what the world was offering and not done what God asked of me? What would you do? Would you take the money...or obey God?

No comments: