8.23.2008

Strawberries & nuclear reactions

Okay, the following is something I posted on a blog I started a few months ago, and then I never really did anything with it. So, I thought I'd share it with you guys. Apologies for the science stuff if that's too geeky for you, but I think the way God put together and runs the universe is pretty amazing. So, here goes...



I just ate some strawberries. Now, I love strawberries. They're yummy and nutritious, and they're one of my favorite foods. I'm glad God invented them.

These strawberries seemed particularly amazing though. Not because they were any sweeter than other strawberries I've eaten, but because I actually thought about what's involved in making them.

I've been teaching a short unit on energy to my 7th graders, including energy transformations. So, I was thinking about energy transformations as I was sitting on the couch, eating fresh strawberries and correcting homework.

It's amazing, really, how I came to be eating those tasty red berries tonight. Here's the story...

Millions of miles away, inside the sun, something crazy happened. A couple of hydrogen atoms fused to create a helium atom, leaving just a little bit of matter left over. That little bit of matter turned into a whole bunch of energy(E=mc^2, anyone?), which then moved outward as electromagnetic radiation (light energy). Some of that electromagnetic radiation hit our planet, particularly one little strawberry plant growing somewhere in California.

The plant then did something truly amazing. It took that light energy and through photosynthesis, turned it into stored chemical energy...the berry. So the same nuclear energy that was inside the sun came to Earth as light energy, turned into chemical energy, and will now fuel my body and allow me to do all kinds of things. Amazing, isn't it? We take waaaaaay too much for granted, how well God has this whole universe thing set up, if you ask me!!!

I just had another thought as I as writing this. The energy coming from the sun to give us the fuel we need to run our bodies kinda reminds me of something else...I think I'll save that for a separate time, though. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Joy,I like to hear more from you.


Ben .K