8.05.2008

Brandon's Brooklife Sermon: The Murder and Betrayal of Uriah the Hittite.. otherwise known as the Affair of David and Bathsheba

Ok... so my message at Brooklife Church this weekend went pretty well.

If you are interested you can hear it in streaming audio here:

or download it from iTunes here:


This message is drawn from 2nd Sam 11-12, and takes a look at some lessons we learn from David's sin with Bathsheba.

Many people have preached good messages about it, but I really focused on one aspect of the text... David's handling of his own sinful behavior verse the way he responds to the sinful behavior of the "rich man" in the prophet Nathan's story...

The main point that I was trying to make is that when we sin we usually try to cover it up, compare it away (compared to so in so... its not so bad), minimize it (say it in a way that makes it sound not bad at all), claim grace (God loves me and will forgive me anyway), and make it all about me (No one else was hurt by this... it was just my little sin...). However, when we find someone else in a sin, our actions are totally different.

We tend to uncover it (publicize all the details, and look for more), compare (I would never.... like the did), Exaggerate it (Make it sound as bad as possible, even worse than it really it), Claim Judgement (Skip the grace... we want them to be punished and get what they deserve..), and finally make it all about me...(their sin is so huge it effects the entire world... and especially me...).


Here are some questions I am trying to work through... if you have a few minutes, read the passage yourself and tell me what you think...

1. Do you think people are more lenient with their own sinful patterns than those of others?
2. Are Christians overly prone to write off others in Judgement?
3. Do you see people as less valuable because of their sinfulness?
4. Why is it easier to be offended at the sins of others, or to really deal with my own sin and temptation?
5. In what areas of my life and I:
“on the roof”;
“attempting a coverup”;
“killing another”;
“pretending it never happened”
6. Why do we tend to judge the actions of others, but justify our own actions? How do we stop doing both?

7. How do we learn to flee temptation without living in constant fear of our sin nature.

No comments: