2.28.2007

God's amazing power... and love


Gabriel, an angel apparently, said this to Mary the virgin mother of Jesus,

"Greetings, you who are highly favored! the Lord is with you."

I almost wonder if this is a joke of sorts, because on the surface it seems to mean that God is with her, but the angels next statement makes it clear that God is really WITH her... as in he is in her womb as a preborn baby!

It is very likely that she would have been a young teenage girl at this point in her life... What is striking about this is that Mary was never consulted about whether or not she would like to be the mother of Jesus. This is so hard to accept for us because we are used to being able to choose whether or not we obey God... whether or not we will follow him.

Imagine if this happened to you... how would you feel? Would you be scared?

How do you think Mary felt? how do you think her fiancee, Joseph, felt about his future wife suddenly becoming pregnant?

It is really hard for me to accept that my life completely belongs to God. I struggle with the thought that he has the right to do with my life whatever he wants to ... and that he doesnt even need to ask my permission...

How do you feel about that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Godsquad leader, and I am engaged. I think it would be so incredibly weird to all of a sudden have an angel tell me I am pregnant with God...and I can imagine that my fiance would be pretty freaked out!! I know that even after I get married, we don't want to have a baby for a few years, because there is stuff that we want to do first. For example, I'm not ready to stop working full time, and I don't want to work full time when I have a baby. Plus we want some time to just get used to being married before we add kids to the mix. If I was in Mary's shoes (or sandals?), if would be really hard for me to accept that I wouldn't get the chance to just be married without kids!

Anonymous said...

I diddent Know marry was that young.That would be sooo scary to only be a teenager and be giving birth to the God of the Universe!