4.30.2008

WWME #5: Culture... be careful how you program your mind!

Eventually we become what we imitate and admire.



You would be foolish to try to argue this point.


That which truly captures our imagination... the story which is the most compelling, that is the story and view of reality we write outselves into.

SO...


what we watch and experience online reflects a very likely tragectory for our hearts, and eventually our lives.



Here is the thing.

As much as parents, pastors, and other adults may try to shape our future, we are in many ways the primary programmers of our minds when we reach middle school.

We begin to choose who we will hang out with, what we will watch, what we will do with our time, what music we will listen to, and who will be our “american idol”

We choose all of these things, and then fill our brains with them to the point were it overflows and these things begin to come back out. Things as innocent as the word “like” but also dark things like negative behavior patterns and prejudice learned by watching the value system of the world played out on TV


If you are programming your future and your character, be really careful what you write into the code. It is a lot harder to erase than it is to just not put it in....

The Bible teaches many things about this, but I particularly love Romans 12:1-2

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is true worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.



Based on this, I had these three poings come to mind...
1. You have an amazing mind. (Eph1, Romans 12)
It learns by imitation and repetition

What you see you imitate... what you imitate you repeat... what you repeat you become... what you become is who you are.
STOP watching, imitating, and repeating things that you do not want to be true of yourself...

2. You are the main programmer of your mind... . (Romans 12, Phil 4:8, Eph 5:15)
Myspace... facebook... movies... experiences... internet... images... are all like a giant training video teaching your mind how to work.

3. Program Wisely... you are shaping your future... Romans 12, Psalm 119, Mark 12).

Be careful how you program it

So how can you program it correctly? Psalm 119 gives us great insight into this!
Psalm 119:9 How can those who are young keep their way pure? 
      
By living according to your word.

    10 I seek you with all my heart;  do not let me stray from your commands.
    11 I have hidden your word in my heart  that I might not sin against you.
    12 Praise be to you, LORD;  teach me your decrees.
    13 With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
    14 I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.
    15 I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
    16 I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

No comments: