10.05.2008

Running Peeps

Okay, so Peeps can't actually run. They're made of marshmallow coated with sugar, and they don't have legs. But stay with me on this....

I was running yesterday, and I started thinking about peeps. My peeps, not the overly sweet, fluffy ones. See, I was running by myself, for the first time in quite a while, and it was HARD!!!

I decided a few months ago to start running. It's never been easy for me, but I thought it'd be a good way to exercise, since Rollerblading is limited to paved trails and only possible during the warmer months. My roommate Robbie has been running for years, and she was really happy to help me get started. She gave me advice on getting good running shoes and helped me find a training schedule. Robbie also went running with me several times to encourage me along the way. My friend Jackie (you know Jackie, right?) was also very helpful. She ran with me too, and when my knee started hurting, she showed me some stretches to help.

In August, I ran my first 5K, which is a 3.1 mile race. If you run cross country, that's no big deal, but it was a big deal to me. I recruited a few of my friends to race too, including Robbie and Jackie. They both ran with me the entire race. It got difficult toward the end, but Jackie's "You're doing great!" and "You're almost there!" kept me going.

Maybe you're wondering what this has to do with anything. So I ran a race back in August with some of my friends...so what?! Well, the Bible sometimes compares living a Christian life to running a race. (Check out 1 Corinthians 9:24, Galatians 5:7, 2 Timothy 4:7, and my favorite, Hebrews 12:1.) When I'm running, I can get worn out, and it's really helpful to have my friends running with me to keep me going. (I keep them going too; just ask Robbie!) Life is kind of the same way. So, encourage your peeps. Look after each other when things get rough. Help each other up when you fall.

Go, run with your peeps! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! I'm not a runner myself and I hate running at all. A mile for me is just total torture! I would never make it up to two miles. But if I had a friend to push me forward and cheer me on, I might make it.

Anonymous said...

yea i hate to run long distances, but friends always help to push me all the way!!